National, Major or Minor ? Which is Pittsburgh ready for?

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Support is growing!!

   Hope this finds evryone well.
I was just chatting with an Iron City grown lacrosse superstar.
    As he and I exchanged dialog, I got recharged about my efforts.
We are in agreement that professional lacrosse and Pittsburgh is a good fit. Furthermore, the residual effect that it could have on the sport in Western PA is remarkable.
   He was also very gracious to offer his assistance towards the cause. With more guys like him carrying the torch, we should start making room in our closets for yet another Black & Gold jersey.

3 comments:

Lax Guy said...

Before I vote, I would like to learn more about the NAIL. I have never heard of it and cannot find a website or anything.

PGHLax said...

Web site is northatlanticindoorlacrosse.com
It is a brand new league. It is planning to launch for the 4th quarter of 2010. I think it has merit. I would be interested in your thoughts

Lax Guy said...

Thanks for the link. I think it looks like a solid concept - especially if the league keeps the ticket prices low. Part of the problem with the NLL is that their tickets are overpriced for the most part considering pro lax - especially box lax - is a relatively new/unknown product to most sports fans.
I realize the game is more establihed in Pitt than in other cities, so in that sense NLL makes more sense. However, that league has higher travel costs and has had some franchise stability problems over the last few years - ok, throughout its entire existence. Perhaps the NAIL will provide a more stable situation and ensure the longevity of the Pittsburgh team.
Although I do not know how the fans will react to a minor league team in what is most definitely a major league city, the fact that it is a professional lacrosse team should make a difference. As long as the ticket prices are not insane and seating is initially limited to the lower bowl, it could be a success. Some local TV coverage would go a long way too. Minor league teams can often build a more passionate following than major league teams...
I say go for it.